Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 16

Good News Today!

Firstly, my surgery went very well yesterday. I had to be at LDS Hospital at 5:30 a.m. My surgery started around 8:00 a.m. Who knew it took so long for them to get someone ready? And, I have discovered the best part about being in a hospital. The blankets that have been in the warmer. They are the best!

My surgery went great. The doctor was able to do a lumpectomy with a lateral dissection of my lymph nodes. Dr. Rosenthal had a pathologist look at the tumor and he agreed that it visually looked like they got good margins. I woke up and, honestly, didn't feel too bad at all. I got a little nauseated and they put something in my IV that actually gave me a small allergic reaction. It made me nervous for a few minutes, but turned out to be only a slight reaction. Overall, I felt great. I was home by 2:00 p.m. I came home and napped for a couple of hours and then got up and visited with some dear friends and Bishop and Sister Foster. Shawna took me to the hospital - was there when I woke up - and stayed with me last night. Thanks again Shawna for the loving care and attention. I actually slept quite well last night. The pain hasn't been bad at all.

Today I have been feeling really good. I got up fairly early and replied to some work emails and hung out until I went to my appointment with Dr. Rosenthal this afternoon. She always schedules a follow-up appointment after surgery to make sure everything looks okay. When I got to her office - her nurse removed my bandages from the surgery and then Dr. Rosenthal looked at everything and said that it all looked great. She had received most of my pathology from surgery. Now for the really good news:

Only 2 lymph nodes show any cancer - a miracle! By sight, she said she was worried that number would be much higher.

And, I have clean margins around my lumpectomy with a microscopic area of a precancerous cell. They are not completely done with the pathology but she said that no matter how it turns out - I will most likely not have to have any additional surgery. This is much better news than I thought I would get. I am SO grateful!

I have another appointment on Friday to have the drain removed from under my arm and should have the official report on the pathology. Dr. Rosenthal has recommended some medical oncologists and I am sure I will be meeting with them in the next week or so for my next steps. She said that I will ABSOLUTELY have radiation and will have some sort of chemotherapy and probably hormone therapy as well.

I am feeling so happy tonight. And, Sandra Guzman just brought me a cake that I will have to have a picture posted on my blog site. It is too funny!

Thanks so much to all of you - once more - for your love, kindness and prayers. Honestly, the flowers, plants, cards, notes, food, calls - everything - it's overwhelming. I am so grateful to have all of you in my life. Because of your love, prayers and concern, I am truly being blessed.

Cyn

No comments: