Monday, September 15, 2008

September 15

Back to work. Sigh!

I had a great week off from work last week. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I went to the Tetons and Jackson Hole with some friends last week. We all had a really good time. After my summer of chemo – it was a welcome relief from not doing much for a few months.

I had a friend give me a condo for the week at The Jackson Hole Racquet Club – now called The Aspens – and had some friends up to stay with me here and there over the week.

The first weekend, Shawna, Bruce and I had Emily, Clayton and Angie up for their Sub-4-Santa weekend that they bought in the auction last year. They left on Sunday. Michael and his roommate Nate came up and stayed with us Saturday night and stayed until Tuesday. Don T. and a friend of his from Brazil came up and stayed Monday night and again Thursday night. Betsy H. and her beau Rick came up Wednesday night and stayed until Saturday.

We did a little hiking on the first Saturday and I actually got to do the fun part of the Snake River on Monday. It was mucho cold and I was so glad I had a wet-suit on. I even have a little neoprene hood for my bald head – which, by the way, is getting some fuzz. The river was so fun. Thanks to Bruce for being my kayak partner. We didn’t dump out and go in the river – which was a good thing for me.

I think I got a bad sinus thing or something the later part of the week. I’m starting an anti-biotic today to see if it will help. My sinuses are out of control. I hate that. And, thanks to Darci Anderson who house and puppy sat for me while I was gone, along with Shawna after she got back. I really appreciate them doing that!

And, I had my first radiation treatment today. It really happens very quickly - about 5 minutes – but today they had to take some x-rays first. The hardest thing was keeping my arms above my head for about 30 minutes in a somewhat awkward position. It was amazing to me just how hard that was.

Things are moving right along with my treatments and I will be done with all of this nonsense before we all know it. If I stay on track and don’t miss any radiation appointments – I will be done on October 24th. I can’t wait.

It was a little frustrating last week when I can tell that my strength and stamina are just not up to par. Hiking was not easy – even though it wasn’t a very tough hike. I can’t wait until I feel like myself again. All in due time, I suspect.

What is the most important thing is that I am going to be around to kayak, hike, whatever for a very long time. I’m going to kick everyone’s butt next summer – just wait and see.



Scully said...

Yea! I was thinking about you while you were gone and hoping you were having a way fun get-away. It looks like it was beautiful!

Deb F said...

WOW! looks like you had a great time. It was great to see you when I was in SLC. You do look great I mean it! Thank you so much for sharing all that you have. I am really have appreciated that you willing shared your love of the savior and his role in your life and through this difficult time. What a great strength for the rest of us to learn from. Love ya! Deb