Sunday, May 4, 2008

May 2

Good News!

First - I have been preparing to start my chemo treatments the last couple nights with trips to Costco for a couple of cases of water - I need to drink a lot of it - and some other things I thought I might want or need. I hadn't heard anything on Wednesday about any of my tests and it was starting to concern me that night. I prayed - a lot - and went to bed.

Yesterday, I didn't think about the tests at all and went about my day at work preparing for my treatment and getting things in order in case I can't be at the office for a few days. I even Clorox Wiped my office - desk, keyboard, phone, etc. just to be on the safe side - before I left the office last night. I ran a couple of errands and went home. At about 9:00 or so, I realized that I had some messages on my home phone - I don't check it as much as my cell - and I had a message left at 10:00 a.m. from Dr. Morgan's office. All of my tests came back okay. They didn't see anything of concern. Hurray!

Shawna brought me in to work really early today and I put in a good few hours and then picked me up and took me to my chemo appointment. Dr. Morgan confirmed everything with my tests. My heart, lungs, liver, bones, etc. - everything looks good. This would be great news even if I didn't have cancer. Dr. Morgan said that he knew he made me nervous by requesting so many test, but felt he wanted to be confident that there weren't any other issues. We now have the BIG picture and can move forward with my treatment. I am officially classified at Stage IIA cancer which is very survivable.

I had my first chemo treatment. Honestly, it wasn't too bad so far. I chewed ice chips - per Marian Decker - and I've been taking Lysine - thanks to Darci Anderson. The tech said that taking 2 - 3 tablets of Lysine a day was the best thing to take to prevent mouth sores, which is one of the possible side effects. They gave me an anti-nausea medication with the chemo and I don't feel like barfing yet. I feel a little drugged up but that's about it. Shawna took me to have my prescriptions filled - more anti-nausea meds - and then we went to lunch at Trolley Square.

I felt so good I had her bring me back to the office. I figure, why not get my hours in when I feel fine. There may be plenty of days in the coming weeks when I won't.

I love Dr. Morgan and his staff. They are all just the nicest people. I felt like I had been a patient for years when I walked in today. They all remembered me from my one single visit and commented on my hair. They administer the chemo in a private room with a DVD player and all. It only took about an hour and a half.

I got a bag of needles - that sounds like something a drug dealer would say - and I have to start giving myself shots on Sunday. Help! Anyone? I'm sure I will get it figured out. The shots will provide my body with a drug that will help stimulate my white blood cell count so I can have another treatment in two weeks and will help prevent me from getting sick.

The nausea can kick in big time in the next couple of days. And, the tech told me that I might feel like total crap on Sunday and Monday. She said it was very important to move and walk. She said that walking has been shown to help people signigicatly during chemo with their fatigue. She also said my hormonal balance could be completely thrown off by the chemo. I may become even more weepy. Please, no!

This is going to be one day at a time. I will just have to see how I'm doing and deal the best way I can.

Wednesday night, Jeff Stowell brough me a LIVESTRONG band that he had in his pocket when he did the Logan to Jackson Hole bike ride. He figured that some of his energy and strength should be in that band and that it would hopefully help me. I wore it today and will wear it to all of my chemo treatments. Thanks Jeff!

I KNOW that I am being greatly blessed during this trial. I wish I could talk to every single one of you and thank you for your prayers and concern in person. It's hard to answer all of the emails, but know that I do love you all so much and am so grateful to you. I see compensatory blessings daily as I deal with the not-so-pleasant stuff. I have said it before - but I have never felt so loved and blessed. God answers prayers! I can attest to this.

Please know that as you are praying for me, I am praying for you - to have every needful thing and the desires of your hearts.

Cyn

No comments: